CEMB seeks motivated undergraduate students for its undergraduate summer research experience program beginning summer 2017. Students participate in 10-week, on-campus programs in Philadelphia or St. Louis, working in research groups at the University of Pennsylvania and Washington University in St. Louis. Students are matched to projects within a research group based upon their interests, educational background, and previous research experience.
Many projects are interdisciplinary and provide opportunities to develop research skills in the physical sciences, the biological sciences, and engineering. Students develop practical research skills: collaborating, designing experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and communicating results. Other aspects of the program complement the lab experience and are oriented toward professional development and career skills: seminars, journal clubs, and professional and career workshops, including training in ethics, innovation, and technology transfer.
Dates: May 30 – August 4, 2017 (10-weeks)
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri
The program offers:
- A competitive stipend ($5,500)
- Summer housing
- Travel assistance (if eligible)
- Social activities (Cardinals/Phillies baseball, outings in the city, cook-outs on campus)
Application deadline: February 24, 2017
In order to complete this application, you will need to upload the following documents as PDF files as part of this online application process:
- A one-page resume (file name format: Lastname_Firstname_RESUME.pdf)
- Transcripts (file name format: Lastname_Firstname_TRANSCRIPT.pdf)
- A one-page personal statement (file name format: Lastname_Firstname_STATEMENT.pdf)
You will also need to provide the names of two references. Please ask your references to send their letters (PDF files) to: email@example.com.
Please contact James McGonigle at Penn, firstname.lastname@example.org, for any questions.